We are Sunnyhill.
We are a vibrant, contemporary, multisite church that is faith-filled, life-fuelled, fun loving and passionate about Jesus. Church to us isn’t about stuffy religious practices, but it’s about people expressing life and faith in Jesus.
Our purpose is simple; we are here ‘For The One’. We focus our lives on loving and bringing honour to Jesus (‘The One’) and the best way we can do this, is by loving and making Him known to anybody (‘the one’) who hasn’t experienced Him yet. We believe that in doing these things we’re living out Jesus’ New Commandment (see John 13:34). We do this both within the Dorset region and beyond.
Sunnyhill is a church that lives generously, celebrates innovation, champions growth, pursues excellence and builds for the next generation. These are our values.
So whether you’re just starting to ask questions about God, or a committed Christian who wants to sink the roots of your faith even deeper, you can find a home here at Sunnyhill Church.
We are so inspired by the goodness of God that the only fitting response to all He has done is to live generously. We know the world of the generous gets bigger and bigger so therefore we live generously by being faithful in our giving, selfless in our serving and cheerful in our attitude.
The first thing we learn about God in the Bible is that He is a creator. The first thing we learn about us in the Bible is that we’re made in His image. We think innovation and creativity reflect the heart of God and as a result believe that church should be the most innovative place on earth. Therefore, we celebrate innovation by being creative, fearless and fresh in the expression of our faith.
We think growth matters. We are not content to maintain church, we want to grow and flourish deep and wide both spiritually and numerically. Every one matters, so we champion growth by creating healthy community that is both missional at it’s heart and invitational in its ethos.
For us, excellence is not about perfection but it’s about doing the best with what we have. We want to do our best, be our best, live our best because we believe God is worth it and because we believe people who don’t know God yet are worth it. We pursue excellence by cultivating a ‘can-do’ attitude, nurturing a pure heart and living to inspire others to do the same.
We believe the Next Generation are key to the plans and purposes of God, they don’t have to wait. We want to raise them, equip them and release them to be all that God has called them to be. That said, Next Gen for us isn’t all about kids and youth, it’s about being a generation oriented and passionate about the next thing God is doing. We build for the Next Gen by young at heart, vibrant and brave.
Dom and Loo
Dom and Loo Bird became lead pastors of Sunnyhill 7 years ago. They are both passionate about the church stepping into its destiny and their dream is to see Sunnyhill play it’s part in the transformation of the district and beyond for the glory of God.
Dom loves the word of God and is an anointed preacher, using stories and humour to inspire people to live bigger and bolder lives for Jesus.
Loo is passionate about seeing people connect with their purpose in the local church serving God with their gifts and time. She also has a burden to see people who don’t yet know Jesus find Him and see His perfect plan for their life outworked.
Dom and Loo have been married for 13 years and have 3 boys, Caleb, Judah and Zeke.
Adam and Fru
Ferndown Campus Pastors
Adam and Fru Bird have been married for 24 (awesome & eventful) years and together they are raising five amazing humans: two teenaged boys – (Gideon and JJ) and three girls ranging from teen to toddler (Charlotte, Grace and Eliza).
After studying and working for many years in the arts and education fields, Adam joined the staff of a church and served there for 15 years in Worship and Teaching.
Fru also worked in the Arts and Education, serving as Artistic Director for Springs Dance Company and then training as a secondary school teacher and Foster Carer. More recently she has studied Theology and Leadership at St. Mellitus College, London.
In 2017, they obeyed a call from God to move from South East London to Dorset to join the Sunnyhill team and help plant the Ferndown Campus.
They both have a passionate care for the people of this district and a heart to see people of all ages discover their purpose, follow the living God and flourish.
Richard and Charmaine Garton have been serving in ministry for over 20 years. Prior to moving to the United Kingdom, Richard graduated from the Baptist Theological College in South Africa and spent many years there working in church ministry.
As part of the leadership team at Sunnyhill, Richard loves teaching and developing the staff and congregation, seeing them thrive and living a ‘joined up’ life where faith, ministry and everyday life are navigated with purpose.
Richard and his wife, Charmaine, have three amazing children and he enjoys drinking strong coffee, reading books, listening to podcasts and watching good TV!
Phil and Emily Coleman have been a part of the Sunnyhill family since 2006. They arrived here shortly after getting married, and since that time they have added four brilliant children into the mix! They consider serving at Sunnyhill to be one of the greatest gifts and highest privilege.
Phil has been Sunnyhill’s Discipleship Pastor since 2014. His deepest passion is to help people grow in their love for Jesus through the scriptures. In his spare time he can be found enjoying a walk along the coast with his family or watching his beloved Tottenham Hotspur almost (but not quite) win a title!
Jake and Sophie
Next Gen Pastors
Jake and Sophie Parker met when they were both attending the same bible college and have been married since 2014. Jake loves to win the game Fifa (although it happens rarely) and is a self-proclaimed Arsenal fan. Sophie loves Dr Pepper and winning at board games. Together they enjoy going to the cinema (Jake always eats all the sweets before the film starts…) as well as pranking each other regularly! They are always up for a laugh, and always ready to be advocates for the Next Generation in everything that they do.
Jake & Sophie both carry a strong heart to stir up passion in kids and youth and they believe God has huge and significant plans for the Next Generation here in the UK.
They are really excited to see all that God is outworking in the Next Generation here at Sunnyhill.
OUR SUNDAYS AND FAQS
We believe that our Sunday gatherings are the best expression of who we are. They are a place of inspiration, love, encouragement and challenge. We enjoy having lots of fun too.
We totally understand that walking into a new church can be daunting, but rest assured we’ve designed all this for you. Our team are super friendly and we genuinely can’t wait to welcome you.
How can I find you?
We have services at different campuses across Dorset. Please find details of service times and directions for each of the campuses here:
What can I expect on my first visit?
We want you to feel right at home when you visit. Our Host Team will welcome you as you arrive and are happy to help you with any questions and guide you through your first time with us.
What are the gatherings like?
Our Sunday services typically last about 75 minutes and begin with vibrant , contemporary worship. This is followed by an engaging, inspirational message that can always be easily applied to your everyday life.
Coffee, tea and refreshments are available before and after all services.
Our Sunday evening services at our Corfe Mullen Campus begin at 6pm. These services are usually a little more chilled and reflective.
What facilities do you have for kids and youth?
We have an exciting and friendly Kids Church at Sunnyhill, with a secure registration /check-in process and age-appropriate ministry. For very young children there is a creche facility with toys where parents can sit and listen/watch the service via a live link.
Sunnyhill has a thriving youth ministry for ages 11 – 18. They meet and learn together during Sunday services and they also connect at various times and locations throughout the week. More details can be found on the Next Gen page.
How long are the services?
Every service typically lasts about 75 minutes and there is time before and after the service to meet people and chat over a great cup of coffee or tea and cake/biscuits.
Is there a dress code?
There is no dress code. Please, just come as you are – you will fit right in!
STATEMENT OF FAITH
We hold passionately, and unswervingly, to the following statements…
- There is one true God who lives eternally in three equal but distinct persons – The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. He is the creator, ruler and sustainer of all things.Genesis 1:1, 26, 27; 3:22; Psalm 90:2; Matthew 28:19; Acts 17:24-25;1 Peter 1:2; 1 John 5:6-8; Corinthians 13:14
- The Bible is God’s word to humankind. Written by human authors under divine inspiration, it is without error and therefore fully trustworthy for life and faith.2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20, 21; Psalm 119 ; Proverbs 30:5
- People are made in the image of God, designed to be like Him in character, but are corrupted by sin which not only separates them from the life of God, but makes them subject to divine wrath and judgement.Genesis 1:27; Psalm 8:3-6; Romans 3:23; Isaiah 59:1, 2; Ephesians 2:1-3
- Jesus Christ is God’s eternal Son. He was born of the virgin Mary, fully God and fully human, yet without sin.Matthew 1:20; Luke 2:52; John 1:1-4, 14; Colossians 1:15-20; Hebrews 1:1-3
- Jesus Christ died on the cross in the place of sinners, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, making it possible for all people to be reconciled with God.John 1:29; 10:1-18; Romans 5:8; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Galatians 1:4; 1 Peter 3:18
- Jesus Christ rose physically from the dead. He ascended to the Father, is now reigning over all and is the only Saviour of the world.Matthew 28:1-20; Mark 16:1-8; Luke 24:1-53; John 20:1-23; 1 Corinthians 15:12-34; Acts 1:9-11; Acts 2:36; Acts 4:10-12; 1 Timothy 2:5
- Sinners are justified only by the grace of God through faith in Christ.Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 5:1-2
- God the Holy Spirit leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.John 16:7-13, Acts 1:8; Ephesians 1:13; Galatians 5:16-25; 2 Thessalonians 2:13;
- The Church is the body of Christ, both local and universal and is called to worship God and proclaim the gospel. Every member is of equal worth and equipped by the Spirit with differing gifts in order to contribute to the ministry and mission of God on earth.1 Corinthians 12:1-27; Romans 12:3-8; Matthew 28:18-20
- Jesus Christ will return to earth to fulfil the purposes of God and establish a new heaven and a new earth. He will raise all people from the dead and will judge them. Those who have trusted in Him will receive eternal life, and those who have not will be condemned.Matthew 25:31-46; John 5:28-29; Acts 1:11; Revelation 20:11-15; Revelation 21:1-8
A UNIVERSAL CHURCH
We acknowledge and celebrate that the body of Christ is made up of people from all nations, cultures, and histories. We are passionately committed to unity within the body and therefore are committed to the following affirmations and actions…